Moscow 15-Minutes City
Given its organization around well defined "Rayons" with all its characteristics (Density in Residential and public transports, generous public space, open blocks, extensive green open space etc.), Moscow is well positioned to evolve towards a "15 Minutes City", for the benefit of its residents.
With "Mesto Vstrechi", ADG is developing what will become the heart of these "15 minutes" communities. But this does not happen overnight. A deep understanding of local demographics & economic factors, social and cultural dynamics, with continuing refreshed data analytics, is helping the teams to understand the local behaviors and constantly adapt the concept. For this matter, we focus on "how neighbors spend their time" rather than "what they buy". "Mesto Vstrechi" is aimed at providing support for meaningful community life rather than consuming goods only. "How do neighbors take care of themselves, their families, their friends, their pets, their home, their neighborhood" are among the questions we focus on, while "Mesto Vstrechi" aims at providing a part of the answers.
"Mesto Vstrechi" 15 minutes neighborhood is structured around 5 social functions:
- Culture & Leisure, acting as a neighborhood performance center as much as a leisure destination with daily propositions in addition with our cinema halls and Food-Halls.
- Education, educational and sports programs for children, lectures, exhibitions, hobby classes, language courses, DIY studios.
- Longevity & Well-being, in partnership with Moscow City launched "Moscow Longevity" program to improve the quality of life of senior citizens.
- Local retail providing essential goods in Food (Grocery, fresh food, bakery), Health (Pharmacy, Beauty clusters) and Home equipment (Home furniture and decoration, electronics).
- Social responsibility, in partnership with Moscow city government, to provide neighborhood with local support from the city administration.
The focus on "social functions" rather than on "products" is a constant process: It requires to adjust the "tenant mix" while excluding what does not bring any additional value to the "Meeting place" values, such as fast-fashion for instance. For this reason, the business model of "Mesto Vstrechi" is different from a shopping center. The stabilization period, during which the place grows to its expected level of activity, will allow us to adjust the offer of products and services and find the best partners, local entrepreneurs, regional players or national brands.
With the first 7 "Mesto Vstrechi" open, and more to come within the next 6 months, we are now in the position to adjust each of them to the specifics of their neighborhood by completing the mix with the proper offer of services and cultural programs. We are currently working with potential partners in each of the 5 social functions to reinforce "Mesto Vstrechi" as a daily destination within their 15 Minutes neighborhood. For car-centric cities such as Moscow, creating a 15-minutes neighborhood meeting place is a "start-up" process, with constant innovation and a steep learning curve!